It is important that you are aware of the technical requirements prior to purchasing a new device the information provided here may help you.
BYOD Specifications Sheet
If you are purchasing a new device, please read the specifications sheet to ensure you ask the sales representative the right questions. Alternatively print the specifications sheet and take it with you!
Download the BYOD Specification 2022 (PDF 200KB).
When deciding to buy a device to bring to school ask these questions:
- Does the device look and feel like it is durable?
- How much does the device weigh?
- Will it be comfortable for the student to carry it in their bag with other contents that are also usually carried in their bag?
- If it is a laptop, does it have a good keyboard and touchpad?
While students and their families are free to choose a device that best suits them, according to the school's BYOD specifications, the devices that most students have found easiest to work with at school and that we recommend for BYOD are:
- Macbook OS X 14 or higher
- Microsoft Windows 10 or higher
- Windows 10 tablets or higher
These devices are recommended for students to bring to school because:
- they are easy to connect to the school WiFi
- they have a big enough screen for working successfully with a variety of software applications and apps
- other students and most teachers/staff are familiar with them
- there is a large range of easy-to-use and free software/apps that can be accessed at school.
- The devices mentioned are compatible with NAPLAN tests.
Don't forget to have a look at the special deals Hewlett Packard are offering PHS students. Please go to the Hewlett Packard PHS Online Store page.